I put this in discord but it might live better here:
Some ideas about governance that have been floating in my head and I want to get out: There are two main voices that I think are important to represent:
- The will of the HOLDERS, all people being treated equally.
- The will of the $MOONEY, all tokens being treated equally.
It’s important to differentiate these two because what the “majority” of people want can be very different than what the “majority” of tokens want. Yet, both are important to represent.
This is why I think something like a bicameral system could be important:
One “house” is just: one-person-one-vote. A person could be defined by PoH. To avoid “attacks” here maybe for a person to be eligible to vote they must have some (small) amount “staked” in MoonDAO for a period - say 1 month - and their identity confirmed by MoonDAO. No matter how much money they have they have the same voice as anyone else in the DAO.
This “house” is proportional to the number of tokens someone has. Potentially without any limit. This is easy to do – no special “staking” or “voter confirmation” necessary.
- Proposals that affect People will need to pass through the senate.
- Proposals that affect $MOONEY will need to pass through the congress.
- Proposals that affect BOTH will need to pass through both.
The Executive branch
Thse are the DAO multi-sig holders. They will basically do anything that the DAO decides, and cannot protest their decision ~unless~ if the following criteria is met: The proposal could irreversibly damage the long-term viability of the DAO to complete its goals. They have VETO power, but it is voted on by the multi-sig holders and this should be used very carefully.
Multisig holders can be voted in and out by majority rule. Each serve for a 1 year term and can be re-elected. I have more Constitution thoughts but maybe for now I’ll just leave this here because I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.
Some other quick thoughts:
- Optional representation by staking (also potentially assigning roles/status with staking)
- Judiciary branch – a committee that decides on things like “removing” people from Discord, or resolving issues that require mediation by MoonDAO